For those of you into fantasy and SF, you know this is the weekend for Dragon-Con and have to be excited for the people who "made it". I don't mean the fans, but the artists, authors, actors and game creators who have found enough success to be present there. They have worked hard to make it there and I admire (and a little bit envy) their success.
But I realize that all of them, without exception, had to work like dogs to make it to that position. It's one thing to be a dreamer and think about what that must look like.
However, fellow Wannabe Author, I know you know that it takes much more to be a success than dreaming. It takes working like a dog, day in and day out, to be successful.
I hate telling most people that I write. I have so often heard "Oh, yeah, I wanted to write..." My blood boils. If you wanted to write, then write! Because you know what's coming next out of their mouths. "But I realized it was just too much work..." D'oh! Any success requires work. What these people are saying is, "I was dreaming of being a celebrity author, but I didn't want to make an effort to achieve it." And, of course, what is also implied is, "What makes you think you deserve to be a published author?"
The answer to that question is both simple and hard. Hard work writing most every day. Be willing to read about what it takes to be a better writer. Learning your craft from writers who have achieved success while working on the craft yourself. Putting your work out there to other wannabee authors so you can get thrashed (not trashed) and learn and do and redo and redo.
Until finally, at some point, you can put your work out there through self-publishing and see what people say. Or write a query letter and send it out to be rejected again and again. Maybe get an agent or an editor interested.
If you read the story of Stephen King or any author, it wasn't that success fell into their laps. They used their pens or their computers until their fingers were tired, their eyes were bleary, and their hearts were ragged. That is the only way you make it.
Afraid to hope, afraid to fail, afraid to stop, willing yourself to keep going.
Then maybe you to can be in front of a writer's panel or at a bookstore doing a reading and get a check and sign your autographed copy.
Maybe. But you have to put the work in. Work, fellow Wannabees, and show those dreamers what it takes to be a success.
Happy Labor Day!
No comments:
Post a Comment