In light of my concerns, I went on to Amazon and found a couple of good books I've started to read. I'm finishing the first, but haven't had a chance to start the second yet. I'll reveal those in a future post.
However, I did decide to try a version of my first chapter as 3rd Person Close POV. Here is my first paragraph:
Michael Escalante is plugging in his
probes into the egg yellow composite of the robotic foot lifted up sixty
centimeters over his head, the blue base-coated walker’s ten tons balancing on
the other three feet, when Tomas’s stocky shadow appears over him, holding out
a portable phone like a plutonium hot potato. “I can’t stall him anymore,
Michael. He demands I hand you the phone now.”
What I'm trying to do is set the scene. I know it's not much. If I was to critique myself, I would say:
Pros:
1. Some good visual perspectives.
2. A sense of action and urgency.
Cons:
1. Not engaged the other senses.
2. Not sure if there is a captivating visual yet.
This could well be part of my next draft, not my current draft, which is mostly 1st person POV-based.
I have my plot, characters, dialogue / voice and most other aspects straight. But I have to determine the best POV.
Please let me know what you think.
No comments:
Post a Comment