The Art of Dramatic Writing, by Lagos Egri:
http://www.amazon.com/Art-Dramatic-Writing-Lajos-Egri/dp/8087830709/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411427680&sr=8-1&keywords=egri+art+of+dramatic+writing
This is an oldie, but a goodie. It was written for playwrights, but the principles apply well to all good writing. I found this invaluable.
Story, by Robert McKee
http://www.amazon.com/Story-Structure-Substance-Principles-Screenwriting-ebook/dp/B0042FZVOY/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1411427785&sr=1-1&keywords=mckee+story
This book is a bit of a conundrum in that there's nothing quite like it and it's very difficult to describe. It is intended primarily for screenwriters, but the principles apply equally well to novels. A key idea is the distinction of arch plot and multi-arch plot. And who hasn't seen Adaptation?
Save the Cat, by Blake Snyder
http://www.amazon.com/Save-Cat-Blake-Snyder-ebook/dp/B00340ESIS/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1411427902&sr=1-1&keywords=save+the+cat+by+blake+snyder
Another screenwriting book that applies as well to all story types. It's a very good model, but also see the next book with an equally compelling model. The key ideas include using a log line to refine themes and a different way of looking at genre, among many other useful ideas.
The Writer's Journey: Mythic Structures for Writers, by Christopher Volger
http://www.amazon.com/Writers-Journey-Mythic-Structure-3rd/dp/193290736X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1411428004&sr=1-2&keywords=the+heroes+journey
The title is write on (sorry for the pun). It is based on Joseph's Campell's Hero's Journey, which is also known as monomyth. It is a great book, looking at story from a character-centric perspective, so his / her journey helps dictate plot, making the story much more relatable emotionally.. Between this and Snyder, you'll never look at books or movies the same way again. To me, this is essential!
Elements of Fiction Writing - Characters & Viewpoint: Proven advice and timeless techniques for creating compelling characters by an award-winning author, by Orson Scott Card
One of the leading SF novelists (Ender's series) has put out several great books on writing, but I think this is excellent. And when a successful author tells you something, you should listen.
http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Active-Setting-Book-Characterization-ebook/dp/B009MRLXQW/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1411428395&sr=1-2&keywords=active+setting
The Anatomy of Story: 22 Steps to Becoming a Master Storyteller, by John Truby
This is part of a series, but this is the only one I've read so far, and it is great. Short, but great.
I have to admit I'm still reading this one, but when the professional author in my writing group recommends it and I find it on target, I have to include it.
This is far from an exhaustive list of what I've read, let alone what's out there, but I've found these essential reads, so I hope this helps.
Contenders not included: Stephen King's On Writing (haven't read it yet), Aristotle's The Poetics (there are so many books abut it, which explains 3-act structure, so I'm not sure which to recommend), and the Syd Field books are very good, but I'm not sure how relevant they are to novels.
Please let me know what you would add to this list or what you think of my choices.
Thanks!
No comments:
Post a Comment