So, here I am, up on a Saturday morning, writing. That's good, right? After all, it's the weekend, when you normally sleep in late, have a big breakfast, and devote yourself to R&R and to your family. For me, I'm currently considering whether to fly my drone (my 2nd) and debating what movie to see tomorrow, as well as whether to bake for a birthday celebration coming up with my son who's soon taking off for a vocational school.
Writing on the weekends is usually easy enough. I can either get up early and write (though not me - not a morning person) or stay up late and write.
The hard part, for me at least, is writing during the week, because my JOB / WORK/ CURRENT CAREER is very demanding at times. It's not uncommon for me to work late or even put in all-nighters. My current career is one I've spent over 15 years doing and requires a higher-than-average level of sacrifice, as well as keeping up within the very competative industry. So I have keep well-read and work hard in a field that I'm good at, but which isn't my passion. But, of course, the flip side includes: I've never been unemployed for long stretches at a time, it pays pretty well, I'm always being recruited for my experience and skill-set, and, best of all, it keeps me in home, food, and entertainment. So I'm not complaining. I'm glad I'm in my current field, for the moment.
Now, the single parents reading this are probably ready go yell at their computers, "Cry me a river, buddy! You haven't got a clue!" And you'd be right. The levels of energy output and exhaustion are beyond what I could handle, so, as long as you're providing for and not abusing your kids, you win an automatic medal from me. But hang in for the rest of this post. There's good stuff for you, too.
So, how do I balance a demanding job and writing?
First, I don't write every day. *Gasp* I know there are authors out there who make it a religion to write every day (I'll devote a future post to that debate), but, whenever I've forced myself to write after being drained, I write crap, as I soon discover reading through it the next day. Here's my caveat - if you're like me and passionate about your writing, you *are* writing every day because you think about your work every day. And that, too, is a form of writing.
Second, I gave up the ambition to be the "top of my field". I realized that when I spoke to my colleagues whose passion was their job, working beside me, and who couldn't imagine my not wanting to be like them, happily devoting 60+ hours a week to work and grow. Some races you have to give up. Now, that doesn't mean becoming a slacker and letting your career slip out of your hands like so much sand. That's irresponsible and will cost you dearly when you don't have a home. I've never seen any street person's sign that says, "Will Write For Food". So I have to keep up in my field; I just won't set myself up in any job where the "normal demand" is constantly 50+ hours. Less money, more happiness.
Third, I find ways to plug in my writing skills to my job. Mainly by creating or editing technical documentation. To some of you, I warn you - don't become a "shadow artist" where this replaces your passion to become an author. The same could apply to any form of artist. Prove to your bosses and colleagues that your writing can be an occasional asset.
Fourth, I don't talk about my writing... Not just at work, but not even to my friends and colleagues except on a very occasional basis (yes, a post about this will be in this blog's future). The only people to talk to your writing about are writer friends and colleagues, especially in a writer's group (that will be a separate blog as well).
Finally, back to you single parents. You have, as you well know, a tough row to hoe. Up at all hours, usually only able to sleep when your kids sleep, hardly able to exercise, in desperate need of adult conversation when there's opportunity, and plain done by the end of each day. "Hang in" doesn't seem to cut it. But what I will say is this - buy small flip notepads and carry a pencil or pen with you at all times or else, use your smart phone with a voice recorder app to record your ideas and inspiration. I'll cover this more in a later blog as well (I know, I know), but because of the nature of your job, this is an essential way to keep going.
So, that's it for now. To all you wannabees like me, take heart and keep moving forward, even if it only feels like a snail's pace (and when you have a little energy to devote to it). And, if you're resenting your job, consider that it is sponsoring your hoped-for future career, whether it wants to or not. Your "job" is your friend until you become a "working author".
No comments:
Post a Comment